Employee Benefit Plan Audits
BDO recognizes that auditing employee benefit plans is an industry-specific service that requires specialized experience and knowledge. With changing rules and regulations from the Department of Labor, Internal Revenue Service, and other regulators, it is essential that organizations choose the right audit firm for their employee benefit plan audits.
Plan Audit Approach
BDO clients benefit from our plan audit focus, which encompasses:
- Communication: We value the communication process and emphasize planning and organization to help facilitate a smooth audit.
- Technical Experience: We assist clients in understanding the audit and compliance requirements related to their plan.
- Project Management: We work with our clients and their plan service providers (e.g. third-party recordkeeper, investment trustee, payroll service and actuary) to coordinate all phases of the plan audit.
BDO professionals thoroughly understand employee benefit plan audits. We use a nationally developed audit approach and can provide guidance on best practices for various employee benefit plan audits, including:
- Defined contribution (401(k), 403(b), profit-sharing, ESOP)
- Defined benefit pension (pension, cash balance)
- Union-represented plans
- Health and Welfare
- Master Trusts
- SEC 11-K Filings
- Form 5500 and Form 990 filings
In addition, we can offer suggestions to help improve the internal controls of a plan and can note areas that should be considered for compliance with the laws and regulations under ERISA.