The variety of compliance issues facing nonprofit organizations today is growing at an astounding rate. Not only is the federal government stepping up its scrutiny, but states and other governmental entities are becoming more involved. That is why it is so important for associations, foundations, charities, hospitals, schools and other 501(c) entities to seek out professionals with extensive experience in nonprofit tax issues.
BDO's nonprofit tax consulting practice serves a wide variety of tax-exempt organizations nationwide. Our professionals are dedicated to providing guidance and planning ideas that can help organizations maintain exempt status, minimize taxes and comply with the labyrinth of applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
Once the plans are in place and a report is due, BDO offers you the security that comes from knowing your tax returns and compliance documents have been prepared and reviewed by professionals with extensive technical knowledge and broad experience in the tax-exempt sector.
BDO's tax services focusing on the special needs of nonprofit organizations include:
- Planning and consultation regarding:
- Multiple entities
- Lobbying and political activity
- Internet transactions
- Planned giving
- Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT)
- Intermediate sanctions
- Intercompany transactions
- Healthcare organizations
- Preparation of IRS Forms 990 and 990T
- State tax returns required for income, sales, use or property taxes
- Application for Exemption Forms 1023 or 1024
- State charitable registration and/or annual filing
- Group exemption and chapter check up
- Review of royalty, affinity and sponsorship contracts
- IRS private letter ruling requests